Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Rummy Yum Cake!

My Great-Grandmother Phillips is someone that I only remember meeting once in a nursing home when I was four or five, but from the way my mother talks about her I feel like I knew her for a lot longer. From what I have heard she was an awesome woman. My mother was telling me how Grandma Phillips always made rum cakes, so I thought I would try it. This is a very simple rum cake recipe since I am using boxed ingredients.

Cake:

1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix

½ cup dark rum

1 (3ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix

4 eggs, beaten

½ cup vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 325. Flour a 10-inch tube or 12 cup bundt pan.

Combine ½ cup cold water and ingredients in a bowl. Poor into pan (see easy easy!). Bake for 1 hour. Cool. Invert cake on service plate.

Glaze:

Note…when I do this again I will not use this entire glaze…it was like take a shot of rum. I think I gave my mother a buzz.

½ cup (1stick) butter

1 cup sugar

½ cup dark rum

Melt butter in saucepan and stir in ¼ cup water and sugar. Boil for 5 minutes and stir constantly. Remove from heat and add Rum. Prick top of cake and drizzle glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze and repeat until glaze is completely used.

No comments:

Post a Comment