Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Have You Heard?

Did you know? Have you heard? Oh My Goodness Gracious!


I picked Shelby up from tutoring today at school (yes unfortunately she didn’t get my ability to do math). As soon as she hopped in the car she said “Today is Dog the Bounty Hunter Day!” Oh wow, how did I miss that? Yes, my daughter has an addiction. She is truly addicted to Dog. So much so we are searching for a cupcake to make in the show’s honor. ***mother rolling her eyes***


So on in honor of Dog the Bounty Hunter Day I made Pepper Steak. Now this recipe takes some time, so it may not be a weeknight meal for most people, but oh it is soooooo good.

Pepper Steak


¼ cup flour

½ teaspoon salt

½ teaspoon pepper

1 ½ pounds round steak cut ½ inch strips

¼ cup vegetable oil

1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained

1 cup of water

½ cup chopped onion

1 small clove garlic, minced (I sliced with an awesome pampered chef gadget)

1 beef bouillon cube

1 ½ teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

2 large bell peppers, seeded, julienned


Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bowl and coat steak.

Brown meat on both sides with hot oil in a large skillet. Add tomatoes, water, onion, garlic and bouillon cube. Cover and let simmer for 1 hour 15 minutes or until meat is tender.

Add Worcestershire sauce and bell peppers. Cover and simmer until bell peppers are tender. I made the gravy thick with a little flower and serve it over white rice.

Oh, with all the excitement of Dog the Bounty Hunter Day I almost forgot…today was also New Cookbook Day! I love New Cookbook Day just as much as Shelby loves Dog.


How do you read a cookbook? Do you just flip through it? I read every word with a stack of post-it notes in hand marking every recipe that I plan to make. Today was a good one! I was so excited when I saw the title – The Cracker Kitchen by Janis Owens. It is absolutely wonderful. There is even a section called Funeral Fare. Now if my mother and my aunt Becky have taught me anything they have taught me you can get some of the best recipes at funeral lunches. You know when all the little old ladies of the church get together to feed the grieving family. So get ready to see recipes like hoecakes and brown sugar cakes. I can tell you right now there is a section about hunting season that I won’t touch with a ten foot pole. I don’t eat or kill opossum, deer or even squirrel. She also has a recipe for Fried Cooter. Now come on get your head out of the gutter it is a fresh water turtle. Haha! Don’t worry I thought the same thing.

I hope you are having a great week! Have fun cooking something new this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment