Sunday, January 31, 2010

Chicken and Dumplings: The Recipe that Started it All

Where is all started...

My first memory of cooking was at my Granny's kitchen table rolling out dumplings. My Daddy told me eating dough would give you worms and it scared the dickens out of me, but I didn't it anyway because the dough tasted so good. I remember the smell of her kitchen and the way she spread flour on the dough board. The smell of chicken and celery boiling on the stove and the way she stood next to the table with her cane next to her. That was when life was simple at least it was for me...I mean I was 6. My Granny never wrote out recipes. Everything was "some of this" and "a pinch of that." So, I have spent years try to re-create her chicken and dumplings...I think I am getting closer. Here is what I made last night.


Chicken and Dumplings


2 pounds of chicken parts with bones and skin (breasts, legs, thighs)
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 cup sliced celery
1 carrot, sliced
3 tablespoons shortening
2 cups flour
Place chicken in large soup pot and cover with water. Add onion, celery, carrot, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Cover and cook for 40 minutes or until chicken is tender.
Once the chicken is done you will want to remove it from the pot. Remove the skin and the bones from the chicken. Break the chicken into smaller pieces, I usually shredded the chicken. Strain broth and return broth and chicken to large pot.
Cut shortening into flour and 1 teaspoon salt with a pastry blender or fork in large bowl until dough is pea-size. Add 9 tablespoons of ice water, 1 tablespoon at a time and mix lightly with fork.

On floured surface, roll dough thinly. Remember to to keep your rolling pin well floured. Cut dough into strips and lay on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Chill for 45 minutes.

Bring broth and chicken pieces to a boil. Drop strips into boiling broth and chicken pieces. DO NOT STIR! You can jiggle the pot or shake the pot, but stirring will break up the dumplings. Cook on medium for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment